Monday, February 25, 2013

A Shopping Fast

At the start of this year, I made the decision to go on a shopping fast for 5 months!
You see, I have a bit of an online shopping problem... I sit in my classes and check my email, and my inbox is full of emails from Anthropologie is telling me "Sale ends in 24 hours!" and JCrew informing me about "Free Shipping Today Only!"

And they suck me in! Every single time.  

I'm a total bargain shopper -- I can't remember the last time I paid full price for something, but the problem lies in how much of those sale items I end up purchasing...

So at the beginning of this year, I decided I wanted to be a little more responsible in the financial department (not to mention pay better attention in class haha) and I banned myself from not only online shopping, but in-store shopping as well! 
The ban is in place until May 30, which is the day I take the MCAT (the admissions test required to apply to medical schools! aah!)

I unsubscribed from all my favorite stores' email newsletters (you know, removing the temptation) and I am pleased to announce that I am still going strong! At first it was hard to not buy some patterned tights  I really wanted... or a new scarf that was WAY CUTE but I really didn't need it... 

That's what I'm finding through out this whole thing -- how much I don't actually "need."
 I usually justify buying something I want by convincing myself that "I don't have anything else like it!" or "I will wear this ALL THE TIME."

So give it a try! 
I feel pretty empowered that I can actually be responsible with the money I earn, not to mention my bank account is looking better and better haha. 

5 comments:

  1. You go girl! Good luck and when you're done with the MCAT, go treat yourself to something new from Anthropologie AND J. Crew : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. i.am.so.impressed.with.your.willpower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time commenter - I read your blog from time to time and love it! Love your sense of fashion too! I hear you, the constant sale/free shipping, etc emails are soo tempting. Good for you for doing this. It will be worth it in the end. Plus, spring/summer clothes are way more fun to shop for than winter. I'm currently trying to save for a house so everytime I pass up a deal, I try to transfer the $$ I would have spent into our savings account. It adds up quick! And it's nice to see. Good luck with your exam, and I agree treat yourself to something fabulous once its done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks thanks thanks for your comment <3
    Your blog are amazing

    http://infinityuniverse-ema.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! That's pretty awesome. Clearly you have a good motive too, with the mcat being so freaking expensive. Yikes!

    A few years ago, I did a shopping ban myself. It was hard because I follow a lot of fashion blogs. I literally had to stay away from reading my favorite blogs for a long time, which was sad. But, seriously, there was way too much temptation there haha!

    Love that quote above too!

    ReplyDelete